In 2021, the City of Edinburgh Council published the 2030 Climate Strategy, which serves as a city-wide blueprint for achieving a net zero, climate-resilient Edinburgh by 2030. This strategy aims to foster a healthier, thriving, and inclusive capital for all residents and workers.
The 2030 Climate Strategy focuses on six key actions that play a crucial role in reaching our net zero target. These actions are:
- Unlocking and accelerating energy efficiency in homes and buildings.
- Enabling the development of a citywide programme for heat and energy generation and distribution infrastructure.
- Accelerating the decarbonisation of public transportation.
- Renewing our focus on climate resilience and hastening the city’s adaptation efforts.
- Supporting citizen empowerment, behaviour change, and community activism.
- Facilitating business transition and fostering the growth of the green economy.
To ensure effective implementation, the strategy is supported by a detailed implementation plan. This plan outlines the specific deliverables, timelines, milestones, and resources required to achieve our ambitious climate goals. Additionally, it provides a framework for measuring outcomes and assessing impact.
To ensure transparency and accountability, progress toward the target will be reported annually by the City of Edinburgh Council.
Together, we can create a sustainable and resilient Edinburgh, where future generations can thrive. Join us in our journey towards a net zero future.