We all need to be willing to change the way we do things and work together in new ways to help Edinburgh become a net zero, climate ready city by 2030.
The choices we make every day can lead to big reductions in emissions. There are lots of ways you can take climate action in Edinburgh.
Switch your travel choices: Consider replacing petrol or diesel cars with electric vehicles and making greater use of public transport, car-share schemes or bikes.
Think about how you work, and where possible use remote working to cut down on business travel.
- Where possible, walk, cycle or use public transport instead of driving
- Choose holiday destinations that are closer to home
IMPROVE ENERGY AND REDUCE WASTE
- Improve the energy efficiency of your home
- Reduce your food waste and recycle what can’t be reused
- Make things last and recycle when they can’t be reused
- Use the Edinburgh Reuse Map , to find out where you can buy second hand and fix or recycle items
- Replace meat and dairy with plant-based alternatives
ENCOURAGE PLANTS AND WILDLIFE
- Support Edinburgh’s One Million tree project
- Make your garden as wildlife friendly as possible by growing local plants, trees and bushes which help local wildlife
- Remove paving and tarmac from private driveways and front gardens, to help reduce flooding
ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS
Choose products and services that are more environmentally friendly. This includes choosing when possible:
- Seasonal, organic, and locally grown food
- Second-hand items
- Goods and services from ethical brands
There is a range of zero waste shops in Edinburgh. You can take a look at Zero Waste Edinburgh Map to identify refill shops in your area.